Radish Chow Chow
1 pound radishes without tops, thinly sliced
2 cups chopped green bell pepper
2 cups chopped red bell pepper
2 cups diced yellow onion
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 1/2 teaspoons mustard seeds
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
1/4 teaspoong round turmeric
1. In a large enamel-coated cast iron Dutch oven, bring radishes, bell peppers, onion, sugar, vinegar, 1/4 cup water,salt,mustard seeds, red pepper, and celery seeds to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until vegetables are crisp-tender and sugar is dissolved, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in turmeric. Let cool completely. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container. ( I always use glass containers for storage)
Radish and Cucumber Salad with Basil
Makes 4 servings
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 bunch radishes, thinly sliced
1 English cucumber, thinly sliced
1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
1.4 cup chopped fresh basil
In a medium bowl, whisk togethr oil, lemon zest and juice, vinegar, hone and salt. Fold in radishes, cucumber, and shallot. Refrigerat for at least 1 hour. Just before serving stir in the basil. Garnish with basil and pepper.
Makes 6 servings
1 pound radishes with tops
2 1/2 teaspoos kosher salt, divided
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons al-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups half-and-half
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
1 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 cup panko (Japenese bread crumbs)
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350*. Line a baking sheet with foil. Spray 6 (10 ounce) oven proof dishes with cooking spray and place on prepared pan.
2. Cut tops off radishes, Rinse greens well, and place in a colander; set aside.
3. Cut radishes into quarters, and place in a medium saucepan. Add 2 teaspoons salt and water to cover; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook until crisp-tender about 5 minutes. Place radishes in a colander with greens, and let drain.
4. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour, cook for 1 minute. Whisk in half-and-half, 1 teaspoon thyme, pepper and remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cheeses until melted. Fold in radishes and greens; spoon into prepared dishes.
5. In a medium bowl, stir together panko, melted butter, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon thyme. Spoon over radish mixture. 6. Bake until filling is bubbly and topping is browned, 20 to 30 minutes.
Butter-Roasted Radishes and Salmon
1 pound radishes, trimmed and halved
2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter; cubed
3 teaspoons kosher salk, divided
4 (6ounce) salmon fillets
2 teaspoons orange zest
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 navel orange; sliced
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place radishes on one side of prepared pan. Sprinkle with colld butter and 2 teaspoons salt.
3. Bake for 20 minutes.
4. Sprinkle salmon with zest, pepper, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Remove pan from oven, and place salmon, skin side down, on other side of pan. Add orange slices.
5. Bake until fish flakes easily with a fork. 6 to 8 minutes.
Serve fish with radises and roasted ornage slices.
One Hour Cinnamon Buns
OUTNUMBERED ~ ONE HOUR CINNAMON ROLLS
(Don't plan for leftovers. There won't be any!!!)
1. Mix and let sit for 15 minutes:
3 1/2 c. warm water...
3/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. oil
6 T. yeast (4 1/2 Saf-Instant)
2. Then add:
1 T. salt
10 1/2 c. flour
3. Mix together for 10 minutes, then sit for 10 minutes. 4. Oil cupboard (don't use flour), dump out dough. Divide in half.
5. Press one half out into rectangle. Spread with ¼ c. melted butter and then with cinnamon-sugar mixture. 6. Roll up tight, but not too tight.
7. Divide into 12 rolls and place on greased cookie sheet.
8. Repeat with other half of dough. Let rise.
9. Bake for 12-15 minutes at 400.
1 c. sugar
1 T. cinnamon
1 cube butter
2 dashes salt
2 t. vanilla
6 c. powdered sugar
Orange Rolls: Add orange concentrate to regular frosting
Chocolate Rolls: Add baking cocoa and a few drops of water to regular frosting
Cream cheese Rolls: Add cream cheese to regular frosting
NOTES: Recipe by Camille Paskett and Shanna Roberts
*My mixer is a Bosch. Hands down the best mixer available! I just wish it came in cute colors.
*1 cube of butter = 1/2 c.
*Orange concentrate is frozen orange juice.
*I just use regular flour, not self-rising.
*It really is 6 Tablespoons of yeast. I use SafInstant. I have never used the packets, so I don't know the conversion.
*It really is 10 and 1/2 cups of flour.
*I have never frozen the dough. These are way too easy to make to bother with freezing them. But some people have.
*Rising time depends on how warm the house is, the humidity, etc. Just let them rise until they are big enough for you.
*I don't know how many calories these are. Please don't tell me.
*If you want half the rolls, just half the recipe.
*400 degrees Fahrenheit.
*I use the dough hook to mix it up.
BAKED CHICKEN REUBEN
4 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1 can (16 ounces) sauerkraut, well drained
4 (6x4-inch) slices Swiss chees
1 1/4 cups Thousand Island salad dressing
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Place chicken in a single layer in greased baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Press excess liquid from sauerkraut; spoon over chicken. Arrange cheese slices over sauerkraut. Pour dressing evenly over the top. cover pan with aluminum foil. Bake about 1 1/2 hours or until chicken tender.
Tip: When I do these I put the sauerkraut on the chicken , cover with foil and bake until almost done , about 40 minutes. Then I put the cheese and the dressing on and continue baking. I also prefer to use chicken tenders which makes smaller pieces , when using the chicken tenders they will get done much quicker so you want to bake for about 15 minutes with the kraut on top in a preheated oven and then add the cheese and dressing.
1 package (8 ounces) refrigerated cresent dinner rolls
2 whole boneless , skinless chicken breast, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 large onion, sliced into thin rings
1 large green bell pepper, sliced into thin rings
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup pitted ripe olives, sliced
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) pizza sauce with cheese
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Mozzarella cheese
Preheat oven to 425 degrees, Separate crescent dough into 8 triangles. Press triangles into lightly oiled 12-inch pizza pan, covering it completely. Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken, onion, green pepper, mushrooms and olives. Cook and stir about 5 mintues or until chicken is cooked. Spread pizza sauce over dough. Spoon chicken mixture evenly over sauce. Sprinkle with garlic salt, oregano and Parmesan cheese. Top with mozzarella cheese. Bake 20 miutes or until crust is golden brown.
1 Medium zucchini, sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablesppons chopped shallots
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium tomato, diced
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil, or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil, crushed
2 tablesppons grated Parmesan cheese
12 ounces uncooked penne pasta, hot, cooked and drained
Cook and stir zucchini in hot oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium. Add shallots and garlic; cook 1 minute. Add tomato; cook and stir 45 seconds. Add basil and cheese. Pour vegetable mixture over penne in large bowl; toss gently to mix.
POLISH REUBEN CASEROLE
2 cans (10 3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 1/3 cups milk
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon prepared mustard
2 cans (16 ounce each) of sauerkraut, rinsed and dreained
1 package (8 ounces) uncooked medium-width egg noodles
1 1/2 pound Polish sausage, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
3/4 cup italian bread crumbs
2 tablespoons butter, melted
Combine soup, milk, onion and mustard in medium bowl; blend well. Spread sauerkraut in greased 13x9 inch pan. Top with uncooked egg noodles. Spoon soup mixture evenly over top. Top with sausage, then cheese. Combine crumbs and butter in small bowl; sprinle over top. Cover pan tightly with foil. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven 1 hour or until noodles are tender.
JUMBO SEAFOOD STUFFED SHELLS
1 package (16 ounces) uncooked jumbo-sized pasta shells
1 can (7 1/2 ounces) crabmeat, drained, flaked and cartilage removed
1 can (2 1/2 ounces) tiny shrimp, drained
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
1 tablespoon finely chopped pimento
celery leaves for garnish (optional)
Add shells gradually to 6 quarts boiling salted water; cook until tender, yet firm. Drain; rinse with cold water, then drain again. Invert on paper towel-lined plate to cool. Combine crabmeat, shrimp, cheese, mayonaise, celery, onion and pimiento in medium-size bowl. If mixture seems to dry, add more mayonaise a little at a time. Spoon mixture into cooled shells; cover and refrigerate until chilled. Garnish with celery leaves.
Golden Tomato Soup
4 teaspoons butter
1 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/4 cup chopped celery
8 medium-size tomatoes, blanched, peeled, seeded and chopped
6 cups chicken broth
1 ounce uncooked rice
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
5 drops hot pepper sauce
Melt butter in large pan or dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Add carrots and celery' cook 7 to 9 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in tomatoes, broth, rice, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, thyme and hot pepper sauce. Reduce heat to low; cook about 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
Remove from heat and let cool about 10 minutes. In food prcessor or blender, process soup in small batches until smooth. Return soup to pan; simmer 3 to 5 minutes or until heated through. Garnish as desired.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, finely chopped
3 pounds fresh baby artichoke hearts, outer leaves removed, leaf tips trimmed and hearts cut into quarters
2 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine
1 pound mixed shellfish (shrimp, crab, scallps), cleaned and shells removed
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
Heat oil in large saucepan; add onion and cook gently for 5 minutes or until softened. Add artichokes, broth and wine. Cover and simmer 20 to 30 minutes or until artichokes are tender and a leaf pulls away easily. Process mixture in food processor or blender until smooth. Return soup to saucepan. Stir in shellfish, cream, parsley, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Simmer very gently, uncovered, over low heat 5 to 10 minutes. Do not boil or shellfish will becom tough.
Makes 12 to 15 servings
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract (omit if you are alegic to nuts)
2 cans (20 ounces each) apple pie filling
8 uncooked lasagna noodles, cooked, rinsed and drained
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Dash ground nutmeg
3 tablespoons butter
1 cup dairy sour cream
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
Combine Cheddar cheese, ricotta cheese, egg, granulated sugar and almond extract in medium bowl; blend well. Spread 1 can apple pie filling over bottom of greased 13x9-inch pan. Layer 1/2 of the noodles over filling, then spread cheese mixture over noodles. Top with remaining noodles, then remaining can of apple pie filling.
Combine flour, 6 tablesppons brown sugar, oats, cinnamon and nutmeg in small bowl. Cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over apple pie filling. Bake in preheated 305 degree oven 45 minutes.
Cool 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, prepare garnish by blending sour cream and 1/3 cup brown sugar in small bowl until smooth. Cover, refrigerate.
To serve, cut lasagna into squares and garnish with sour cream mixture.
Oreo Cheesecake Bars
1 pkg of oreo cookies
1 roll of chocolate chip cookie dough
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 pkgs of cream cheese
caramel for drizzle
In a square baking dish , press the cookie dough into the bottom of the dish, place oreo cookies on top of the cookie dough. In a mixing bowl add the cream cheese(room temperature), 2 eggs, vanilla, pinch of salt. Mix until smooth and creamy. Pour mixture over the oreos evenly and then top with crumbled oreo cookies, bake at 325 for 35 to 40 minutes. Check them at the 35 minute mark so you dont over bake. Cool for at least 30 minutes before eating. Chill them if you like, Drizzle with Caramel before eating.
I double this recipe because it is not enough for us to have lots of left-over.
Caramelized Apple Crock Pot Oatmeal
Crock Pot Apple Oatmeal
2 pounds sweet or tart apples, chopped into 1 inch pieces. (peeling is optional) and I prefer tart apples.
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1.2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
1/4 cup lemon juice
2 cups of rolled, old fashioned oats
2 cups whole milk
1 1/2 cups water
1. Generously grease the bowl of a crock pot
2. Toss the apples, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and lemon juice in a large bowl, then add the oats and stir.
3. Either in the same bowl or a new one, whisk the eggs into the milk until the mixture is very smooth, add water and whisk again. Pour over the apple mixture.
4. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for around 4-5 hours.
If you don't like crispy edges on the oatmeal then keep and eye on it, or cook it during a time when you can check it often. I let mine cook overnight. We loved it.
ASIAN STYL GREEN BEANS
Plain green beans are transformedd into a spicy Asian side dish-
a natural accompaniment to pork or roast chicken.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or 5 teaspoons vegetable oil and 1 teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
salt to taste
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
1/2 to 1 teaspoon soy sauce
1. Heat a large, heavy skillet with a tight fitting lid. When the pan is hot, add the oil and heat it for 30 seconds. Add the ginger, garlic, pepper flakes, and green beans and cook over hight heat for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add 1/2 cup of water and a generous pinch or two of salt. Cover the pan and steam for 6 minutes, or until beans are almost fully tender. Check on the water once or twice; if more is needed, add 1/4 cup. Add the hoisin and soy sauces and stir. Cook, uncovered, until the water evaporates and the sauce coats the beans thickly. Serve hot.
Makes 4-6 servings.
PEACH, RED ONION & TOMATO SALSA
Serve with chips or on grilled fish or burgers.
1 1/2 cups peeled and finely diced fresh, ripe peaches
1 1/2 cups cored, seeded, and finely diced tomatoes
1/2 cup finely chopped red onions
1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped pickled jalapenos, plus 1 teaspoon juice
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
1 tablespoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
2 to 3 teaspoons sugar
salt, to taste
1. Combine all of the ingredients in a bowl. Refrigerate for several hours.
Stir and taste occasionally, adjusting the seasoning as needed.
2. Transfer to one or more jars with a lid, cover, and refrigeerate for up
to a week.
Makes about 4 cups.
Italian Sausage & Two-Bean Skillet
In a large skillet heat 1 Tbsp. -extra virgin olive oil over medium heat. Add 4 uncooked Italian sausage links(1lb.);cook 10 minutes, turning occasionally. Add 2 peeled, sliced shallots and 1 Tbsp, minced garlic; cook 30 seconds. Add 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, Bring to boiling;reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 5 minutes. Add 12 oz. green beans and one 15-oz can rinsed drained cannellini beans; return to simmer. Cover;cook 5 minutes or until green beans are crisp-tender and sausage is done (160 degrees F). Stir in 8ox halved cherry tomatoes and 1/3 cup chopped italian parsley.
I love this recipe, it is so awesome in the summertime, and also even hearty in the winter months. Be sure to use fresh green beans, it just doesn't have the same great taste with over cooked canned beans from the grocery store shelf. Remember FRESH IS BETTER!!!
Chopped Green Bean Salad With Manchego
Cut 1 1/14 lb. green beans into 1-inch pieces;cook in a large pot of salted boiling water 4 minutes. Transfer to ice water;drain, In a blender combine 1/3 cup red wine vinegar, 1/3 cup minced shallots, 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Add 4oz. finely shredded Manchego or Parmesan (I prefer the Manchego) and 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil. Blend until smooth. In a bowl combine beans, dressing, 2 cups farro, 3/4 cup golden raisins, and 2oz chopped Manchego or Parmesan.. Season to taste. Makes 4 servings.
Kentucky Bourbon Sauce
In a heavy medium saucepan warm 2 tsp. vegetable oil over medium heat. Add 2 slices bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces; cook until crisp, 3-5 minutes. Drain; reserve drippings in pan. Add 1 finely chopped yellow onion (2/3 cup) to pan;reduce heat to medium-low. Cook until soft and goldn brown, 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 1 clove garlic, minced; cook 1 minute. Add 1/4 cup bourbon;increase heat to medium-high. Boil 1 minute. Add 1 cup ketchup, 1/4 cup water, 3 Tbsp cider vinegar, 3 Tbsp. unsulfured molasses (not blackstrap), 2 Tbsp. dark steak sauce, 1 Tbsp. spicy brown mustard, 1 tsp. liquid smoke and 1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling over medium-high heat. Reduce heat. simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes or until reduced to 2 cups, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in cooked bacon.
This makes a great sauce for your grilled burgers!!
Spiced Rosemary Nuts
3 cups salted mixed nuts
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh rosemary
2 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Toss the nuts, melted butter, rosemary, brown sugar and cayenne in a large bowl until combined.
Spread the coated nuts in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
2. Bake the nuts until fragrant and toasted, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely before serving.
Pizza with Cauliflower Crust
1 head cauliflower, stem removed
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 cup marinara sauce (I use Bertolli Marinara with Burgundy Wine)
Sliced bell peppers and onion, for topping.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment papr. Break the cauliflower into florets and pulse in a food processor until fine. Line a steamer basket with a kitchen towel(not terrycloth);set in a saucepan with 2 inches simmering water. Add the cauliflower, cover and cook 5 minutes. Drain well, then wing dry in the towel to get out all the moisture. Let cool.
2. In a bowl, combine the cauliflower with 1/2 cup mozzarella, the parmesan, oregano, 1/2 teaspoon salt, the garlic powder and eggs. Transfer to the center of the baking sheet and spread into a 10-inch circle to make a pizza crust. Bake until goldern, about 20 minutes.
3. Spread the marinara sauce on the crust; top with bell peppers and onion and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup mozzarella. Return to the oven and bake an additional 10 minutes.
CIDER POMEGRANTE SPARKLER
Combine 3 cups apple cider,1 cup pomegrante juice and the juice of 2 limes. Pour into ice filled glasses and top with seltzer. Garnish with lime wedges.
JALEPENO CIDER SHANDY
Combine 3/4 cup cold lager and 3/4 cup apple cider in a glass. Stir in 1 teaspoon jalapeno hot sauce: garnish with lime wedge.
Blend 3/4 cup each apple cider and usweetened coconut milk, 1 sliced banana and 1 cup each frozen strawberries, frozen mango and ice until smooth.
CIDER FRUIT PUNCH
Combine 2 cups apple cider and 1 cup each pineapple juice, orange juice and cherry juice. Garnish with fruit.
APPLE CIDER FLOAT
Fill a small glass two-thirds full with apple cider. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, then sprinkle with apple pie spice.
Freeze apple cider in an ice cube tray. Simmer 4 more cups of cider and 2 cups raspberries in a saucepan until the raspberries break down, 7 minutes; strain and chill. Server over the cider ice cubes; garnish with raspberries.