Nov. 30, 2017
- 400g boiled or canned chickpeas (14 oz.)
- 3 tbsps tahini
- juice of 1 large lemon
- 4 tbsps extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsps water
- a pinch of paprika for garnish
- When making a homemade hummus recipe, what really makes a difference is the order that you add the ingredients.
- For this hummus recipe, start by adding the tahini and lemon juice in a food processor or blender and pulse for about 1 minute, until thick and light in colour. Then the chickpeas go in. Process the mixture, until the chickpeas are minced.
- Lots of hummus recipes require to remove the skins from the chickpeas. Although this is not difficult it will certainly take some more time, but the truth is, having tested both ways, I am not sure that it is worth the trouble. If you have the time try it for yourself by gently pinching the chickpeas until the skin comes off.
- Add the minced garlic and pour in the olive oil a little bit at a time, whilst pulsing, like making mayonnaise. Blend until the oil is incorporated and the hummus mixture is smooth or coarsely pureed, depending on your preference.
- eason with salt and cumin and pour in 1-2 tbsps water, if the hummus is too thick. Pulse for 1 more minute.