2 pounds of thick Cut Bacon
2 cups of chopped Vidalia onion
4 cloves of garlic
1 cup of sugar
½ cup brown sugar
8 ounces chopped dried apricots
½ cup sherry vinegar
2 TBS balsamic vinegar
¼ cup water
3 sprigs of fresh Thyme
Optional: a couple dashes Cayenne (red) pepper
salt & pepper
- Cut your bacon into ¾ inch pieces and cook until crisp, stirring it around often.
- Drain all but 2 TBS or so of the bacon grease out.
- Add in the onions and saute for about 6 minutes.
- Add in the garlic and saute for 1-2 minutes, stirring the whole time.
- Add in sugar, brown sugar, apricots, vinegar's and water. Stir and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Add in Thyme sprigs, salt and pepper and continue simmering, stirring often, for 10 minutes, being careful not to burn.
- Taste and adjust seasoning to your preference if necessary.
- Remove Thyme sprigs and allow the mixture to cool.
- You can then pulse the jam a few times in your food processor for a finer jam or leave it as is chunkier
- Once completely cook, store in airtight jars in your refrigerator for up to 3 weeks
Apricot Lavender Jam
Makes about 6 (1/2-PT/250-ML) Jars
4 tsp.dried lavender buds
3lb. apricots, pitted and chopped(abut 6 cups)
4 cups sugar
3 Tbsp bottled lemon juice
1. Plce lavender buds on a 4-inch quare of cheesecloth;tie with kitchen string.
2. Place apricots in a large bowl; mash with a potato masher until crushed. Stir in sugar and lemon juice; add cheesecloth bag, stirring until moistened. Cover and chill 4 hours or overnight.
3. Pour apricot mixture into a 6qt. stainless steel or enameled dutch overn. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Increase heat to a medium-high. Cook, stirring constantly, 45 min or until mixture is thickened and a candy thermometer registers 220 degrees F. Remove from heat. Remove and discard cheescloth bag.
4 . Ladle hot jam into a hot jar, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rim. Center lid on jar. Apply band, and adjust to fingertip-tight. Place jar in a boiling-water canner. Repeat until all jars are filled.
5. Process jars 10 minutes, adjusting for altitude. Turn off heat; remove lid and let jars stand 5 minutes. Remove jars and cool.